Men Get in Far More Motorcycle Accidents than Women

Blount Law Firm PLLC Feb. 22, 2019

Wondering what the odds are that you will be seriously injured or even killed in a motorcycle accident? One key thing to consider, before you even get on your bike, is your gender.

In short, if you’re a man, you face far greater odds of getting in that traumatic crash than if you’re a woman.

According to one study done by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), women make up a mere 9 percent of fatalities in motorcycle accidents. The other 91 percent go to men. It’s not only a majority but an incredible gap that shows men are in far more danger from these wrecks.

Why is this the case? It’s not necessarily that men are just worse riders. There’s something to be said here for the frequency of use, as well. Are men more likely to ride in the first place, meaning they’re bound to have higher crash totals? That’s definitely part of it.

“Men typically drive more miles than women and more often engage in risky driving practices” claimed the IIHS study, while looking at motor vehicle accidents as a whole.

Motorcycles inspire this sense of freedom and exploration. They get you out on the open road in a way that nothing else can. That’s terrific when used safely, but this study shows that a lot of people find out that there is a dark side to motorcycles, as well. The risks they bring are very real.

Have you been hurt in a motorcycle crash caused by another driver? If so, you need to know if you have a right to financial compensation for your medical bills and other costs.